By Bob Meadows
- Detroit and Google Street View don’t mix. Riding down a street on the city’s East Side, the camera van caught a guy pointing a gun from his porch. Naturally, the guy doesn’t have a shirt on.
- The last time the Pittsburgh Pirates finished over .500, George Bush was president. The elder George Bush. They seemed destined to break that streak back on August 8, when they were 63-47, and just a couple games out of first place. Since then, however, they’ve gone 11-27, and slipped to exactly .500. I feel kinda bad. Kinda
- Proscovia Alengot Oromait, 19, was elected to Ugandan Parliament. She’s the youngest politician in Africa, but considering how many tweens are drafted into militias there, her youth isn’t all that stunning.
- Beyoncé and Jay-Z hosted a fundraiser for President Obama. Once again, my invitation was lost in the mail.
- What more is there to say regarding Mitt Romney and “47 percent”? Nothing, so I’ll leave it at that.
- “[I]f I were to do it again, I would refuse the hiding.” Salman Rushdie on his memoir, JOSEPH ANTON, to the New York Times.
- Not feeling the new ‘do Prince debuted on The View (hey! an unintentional rhyme!). I first thought it was a hat. But I will give it up to Prince for this reason: He’s never been worried about changing his image. A lot of people, including me, were shocked when, right after the phenomenon that was Purple Rain, he dumped his Jimi Hendrix impression for a Beatlesque Around the World in a Day.
- Trifling Person of the Week: Yunel Escobar. He must think he’s the only one who can read Spanish. What an idiot. Personally, I don’t think there was enough of an uproar. Perhaps cuz it’s Yunel Escobar. Perhaps cuz “maricon” is a pretty word to pronounce for us English speakers. But can you imagine if he’d written “You’re a fag” on his eye black?
© 2012 The Peoples News